Skip to main content

United Daughters of the Confederacy, Lizzie Rutherford Chapter

Identifier: MC 28

Scope and Contents

This collection consists of 4 boxes of materials. Three contain scrapbooks of news clippings relating to the UDC and its activities, and the fourth one contains oversized reprints, photocopies and typescripts of Confederate documents.


  • 1928 - 1985

Biographical / Historical

The Columbus, Georgia chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy was established on May 6, 1896 as Chapter 60 of the UDC with 10 charter members, including Mrs. John C. Brown as president. The members voted on April 26, 1898 to change its name to the Lizzie Rutherford Chapter in honor of Lizzie Rutherford Ellis, who in 1866 had proposed setting aside a day of memory of the Confederate dead. This idea inspired the annual observation of Confederate Memorial Day. Miss Anna Caroline Benning was elected president of the newly named chapter, which had grown to 47 members.


4 Linear Feet

Language of Materials


Related Materials

Chattahoochee Valley Libraries Archive - Lizzie Rutherford Chapter, UDC Collection
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Columbus State University Archives and Special Collections Repository

4225 University Ave
Columbus Georgia 31907 United States